Wednesday, May 30, 2012

All About the Ocean

Ocean animals, that is.

Liza has been crazy into all the different sea animals ever since her music teacher started a unit about the ocean. Since she is so interested in them, I knew I had to buy her some little sea creatures (thanks to the 40% off coupon at Michael's Crafts) and make a new sensory bin.

The day we bought the animals was one an absolutely gorgeous sunny day so I knew playing outside in the water table would be more appropriate than playing inside.



And my girl has not stopped playing with them for a week. "Mom, where are my animal oceans?"  or "Mommy, ocean animals in my water table? Please?" Yes, she sometimes says, "animals oceans." How cute is that?


Some of these sea creatures have even made it into the bath tub. Thank goodness that she is so into them I can now sneak away some of the yucky Dora toys she had in there!

Today I decided it was time to get back to my plan and actually make her a new sensory bin because I had some cleaning to do inside.

Here is what I came up with.



I put the bin on our porch since it is a little cooler out there than it is inside. I just stuck in some sand, a few ocean animals, and a tiny bit of sand from her sandbox. I also added a net, magnifying glass, and some wooden boxes. Oh, and a little cupcake pan in case she decided to sort out the sea shells (I might have encouraged that a little bit).


Pigtails, anyone?


I cannot seem to get rid of those darn plastic Easter eggs. They show up everywhere!




"Look mom, a daddy, baby, and mamma!"


Scooping, pouring, and transfering.



Listening for the ocean, just like she does in music class. I love watching her make all these connections!


For real, you will be seeing a lot more of these pigtails! SO CUTE!



Hope you enjoyed today's little post! Have you done anything fun with your kiddos? I'd love to hear about it! Inspire me with your ideas!!

XOXO Sarah


3 comments:

  1. Um, please put her hair in those little sprouts all the time. The cuteness kills me. LOVE.

    Your ocean sensory box is great! Now that we are spending more time on our deck, I'll have to collect some big shells and get some sea creatures for B to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to start doing more sensory boxes for Maddy, and for Ben. I need to be a SAHM ;-) I need to pay more attention to the Michael's coupons and the dollar store for cheap and easy ways to make a sensory bin. And a bin would probably help ;-) Awesome idea!!!!!!

    And I LOVE the piggy tails! M doesn't sit still for them very well yet :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like so much fun! Whenever Gwen sees a grouping of smaller and larger items, the larger ones are the mommies and daddies and the smaller ones are the babies, just like the shells. I think that's a girl thing. :)

    We just came back from camping. Wish we didn't have to come back to reality!

    ReplyDelete