Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Creating a "Bokeh Sandwich"



I recently read a tutorial on Clickin Moms about creating a "bokeh sandwich."   Bokeh is the nice blur you get in the background or foreground of a picture. 


In a "bokeh sandwich" there is blur in both foreground and background of the picture in between the subject. I think it is a neat effect so I decided to give it a try. 

Here is what you need to do to create the effect. Get down low on the on the ground or on the floor and put your camera on the lowest number f stop it will allow. If you are not comfortable with Manual mode on your DSLR then put it on AV or A mode. Then pick a subject, focus your camera , and start snapping. 

If you would like to learn more about manual mode, and your cameras settings, here is a link to a fantastic photography blog, Click it up a Notch.

I took out my camera and used my 50 1.8 lens ( by the way this lens is awesome for the price). I attempted to use my two little ones as subjects. It worked for a minute until my toddler decided to get on my back while I was laying on the floor. I tried hard to take pictures without them noticing. Obviously that didn't work! 

My settings were Shutter Speed: 1/200 sec,  Aperture: F 1.8, ISO 400. 






Since the kids didn't want to cooperate, I decided to switch to toys as my subject. :)

So what do you think of the "bokeh sandwich"? 




Hugs,

Katey



0 comments:

Post a Comment